The JBA conducts planning concerning the operation of payment systems which are vital for the Japanese economy. Payment systems operated by the JBA include:
- “Zengin System*”/ on-line processing of domestic customer transfers
- Tokyo Clearing House
- Foreign Exchange Yen Clearing System
- Personal Credit Information Center(a credit information bureau)
- Based on the “Payment Services Act” that was enacted in June 2009, the operator of the Zengin System had become to be required to acquire a license from the Prime Minister of Japan as a “Fund Clearing Agency”. Consequently, JBA established Japanese Banks' Payment Clearing Network (Zengin - net) as a subsidiary of JBA in April 2010, to start its operation in October 2010.
- The JBA also serves as the secretariat for the SWIFT User Group of Japan and some CD/ATM networks such as BANCS, SOCS, LONGS and MICS and the Japan Multi-Payment Network Management Organization which operates the MPN system providing Pay-easy services.